What are cookies?
Cookies are files that can be downloaded to your computer through web pages. They’re tools that play an essential role in the provision of many services of the information society. Also, cookies allow the storage and retrieval of information on the web page, showing the browsing habits of the user or their equipment because according to the information, the user is better recognized and the service offered can be improved.
Types of cookies
There are two types of cookies depending on who is the entity that manages the domain from which the cookies are sent and processes the data obtained.
- Own cookies: means that cookies are sent to the user's terminal equipment from a computer or domain managed by the publisher that provides the service requested by the user.
- Third-party cookies: means that cookies are sent to the user's terminal equipment from a computer or domain that is managed by another entity and not by the editor, processing the data obtained through cookies.
In case that the cookies are installed from a computer or domain managed by the editor itself, with the information collected through a third party, they cannot be considered proprietary cookies.
There is also a second classification according to the period of time that they remain stored in the client's browser, this refers to:
- Session cookies: designed to collect and store data while the user accesses a web page. They are usually used to store information that is only interesting to keep for the provision of the service requested by the user once (e.g. a list of products purchased).
- Persistent cookies: the data remains stored in the terminal and can be accessed and processed for a period defined by the cookie manager, and this can last from a few minutes to several years.
Finally, there is another classification with five types of cookies depending on the purpose of the data obtained:
- Technical cookies: refers to those that allow the user to navigate through a website, platform or application and the use of the different options or services that exist in them, for example, control traffic and data communication, identify the session, access parts of restricted access, remember the elements that make up an order, make the buying process of an order, make the application for registration or participation in an event, use security features while browsing, store content for broadcasting videos or sound or share content through social networks.
- Customization Cookies: allow the user to access the service with some general characteristics predefined according to a series of criteria in the user's terminal for example, the language, the type of browser to access the service, the regional configuration from where you access to the service, etc.
- Analysis Cookies: allow the monitoring and analysis of the behavior of the users of the websites that are linked. The information collected by this type of cookie is used to measure the activity of websites, applications or platforms and also to create user browsing profiles together with applications and platforms to introduce improvements in the analysis of user data from the website service.
- Advertising cookies: allow the management, in the most efficient way, for advertising spaces.
- Behavioral advertising cookies: they store information on the behavior of users through the observation of their browsing habits, allowing the development of a specific profile to the display advertising.
Disabling and deleting cookies
You have the option to allow, block or delete cookies installed on your computer by configuring the browser options installed on your computer. when you disable cookies, some of the available services may stop working may no longer be operational. The way to disable cookies is different for each browser, but can usually be done from the Tools or Options menu. You can also consult the browser's Help menu where you can find instructions. You may at any time choose which cookies you want to operate on this website.
You can allow, block or delete cookies installed on your computer by configuring the options of the browser installed on your computer: